CTR Library Catalog
Instant Help Available
Use the "Ask CTR Library" Service to chat with a CTR Library Graduate Assistant for tips specific to your research.
- Use quotation marks (" ") around "an exact phrase".
- Use OR between terms to search for either one OR the other.
- Minus signs (-) mean NOT. Use to EXCLUDE a -word or -"a phrase".
- Asterisks (*) are wildcards at the end of a partial word that can have multiple ending*.
- Colons (:) signal a range search.
- Results are displayed as a list sorted by the most recent publication date (default). Use the dropdown options to re-sort the list.
- When using more than one field, results must meet all criteria unless "OR" is selected in dropdown preceding the field.
See the examples below.
|Type this…||To find this…|
||searches field(s) for access and/or accessible and/or accessibility and/or any other word beginning with Access-|
|"pavement rehabilitation"||both words, together as a phrase (rehabilitation of pavements would not meet this criteria)|
|pavement OR rehabilitation||either word (or both)|
|pavement* (rehab* OR maintenance)||rehabilitation AND pavements and/or maintenance AND pavements|
|asphalt concrete -"rubberized concrete"||asphalt AND concrete but NOT “rubberized concrete”|
|forecast* p5 transportation||“forecasting”, “forecasts” or “forecasting” preceding “transportation” by 5 or fewer words. You can include an asterisk at the end of either word.|
|forecasting w5 transportation||“forecasting” within 5 words—before or after—transportation. You can include an asterisk at the end of either word.|
Words joined by Boolean operators are evaluated in left-to-right order. Use parentheses to control evaluation order.
Range of years, names, or numbers
You can search for items greater than or less than a certain value,
or within a range. This is most commonly done when searching for publication years,
but is also be useful for searching a range of report numbers or when unsure of the spelling of an author"s name.
|<||less than (before)||<2003 finds dates before 2003|
|>||greater than (after)||>2002 finds dates after 2001|
|:||between||1997 : 1998 finds dates from Jan. 1, 1997 through Dec. 31, 1998 (inclusive)
In the author field, mach : mich finds all names between Mach* and the name Mich (inclusive)
Contact library staff for reference assistance or help locating research reports.